Thursday, March 23, 2006

FROM MY COLD DRUNK HAND

Bar Sweep Sparks Controversy

***SNIP***
TABC agents and Irving police swept through 36 Irving bars and arrested about 30 people on charges of public intoxication. Agency representatives say the move came as a proactive measure to curtail drunken driving.

At one location, for example, agents and police arrested patrons of a hotel bar. Some of the suspects said they were registered at the hotel and had no intention of driving. Arresting authorities said the patrons were a danger to themselves and others

"Freedom of drinking should always be allowed, and it is only American to let a guy get drunk where he wants to get drunk," -Steve Harvey

***SNIP***


Now, my initial outrage was tempered by the thought that, it’s quite possible, that Irving, Texas, which is a suburb of Dallas, used to be dry, i.e. no drinking allowed. I’m not sure that it ever was, though. Also, that there may have been pressure on their local government to do something about either the drinking or the drinking and driving. All good reasons to arrest people, OUTSIDE of a bar.
But what concerns me about this, as a Citizen of the Occupied Republic of Texas, is that the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) has violated the Sanctity of the Bar Room, not to mention our God Given Right to drink and get drunk.
Now, I know what some of you Freaky Darlings, are saying: “But Adrastas, we’ve been telling you for years that the present Administration in the United States has slowly been stripping away your civil rights.”
. For years, though, I have tolerated all the lies, hypocrisy and outright moral turpitude. When the government lied about WMD’s and decided to wage war for profit, I said “Sure, why the hell not”. When they clamped down our Civil Liberties and started rounding up the trouble makers I laughed, because, after all, better them than me. When they started spying on us I figured: Go ahead and let them- I’ve nothing to hide.
But the day that jackbooted thugs can enter a sacred establishment, such as a bar, and round up whomever they’d like for arbitrary reasons, and incarcerate them at will…Well, then I know that it could very well be me next.
Of course, I’m over reacting. I mean, I dare them to try that crap down here in the Wild and Free Dukedom of Bejar. Next month, we celebrate Fiesta Week, which, with the demise of New Orleans’ Mardi Gras, should officially make us the biggest Party in the Nation. You can drink on the downtown streets of San Antonio as long as it’s out of a plastic container. I once had a SAPD Officer hand me a cute blue plastic 12 oz glass with their logo emblazoned on the side.
But what about our Fellow Drunkards in Irving? Should they be made to live in fear? Or worse…Drink at home? Nay! My Freaky Darlings, the time has come to make a Stand, to let the Powers that Be know, through no uncertain terms, that We are Not going to allow them to take away the one, pure, freedom we have left. Let us raise our voices as one and tell them :” You can have my drink when you pry it from my cold drunk hand!”

1 comment:

Kel said...

Follow the money, honey! Even dry counties are not dry because the citizens ask for it or vote for it. State-run liquor makes money for the State, while Distributors have a tight rein on liquor between borders. So the question in my mind is this: Who benefits from scaring drinkers out of bars? State-run package stores? Civil rights lawyers?
Don't Drink and Drive, sure.
Tip your bartender well.
Thank you!