Saturday, March 25, 2006

I Shouldn't Have Dared Them To Do It...

It seems, according to some of my roaming eyes and ears around the county, that several people have been arrested *right here* in my own town as recently as yesterday.
From what I hear, as well as read in some recently published accounts, TABC is using *undercover agents* to snag some of my fellow inebriates in several local watering holes in what they are ominously calling “Operation LAST CALL”.
In an update by Reuters News today, as many as 2,200 people, state wide, have been arrested and/or cited for being drunk in a bar.
According to a spokeswoman for the TABC, Carolyn Beck,
“There are a lot of dangerous and stupid things people do when they’re intoxicated, other than get behind the wheel of a car. People walk out into traffic and get run over, people jump off of balconies trying to reach a swimming pool and miss.”
In another report she said, “"These people who are being arrested are really drunk. We're not going up to random people. "
The man who staggered into traffic was on an El Paso Street, and it was not the first time that has happened there, or anywhere. It happens all the time, actually, with or without booze. And the boy who leapt from a balcony toward a hotel pool and missed was a Spring Breaker down on South Padre Island.
Now, I’m not trying to say that a little intervention might not have helped in those cases but, seriously, they bought the ticket and they took the ride. .
The last thing I need is the “State” protecting me from myself. No, my Freaky Darlings, the truth is that those people didn’t die of drinking, they died of terminal stupidity. Sure, a few drinks tends to bring out the obnoxiousness and stupidity in most people, but those are attributes that existed already.
Besides that if a person decides that they want to get drunk and take a nose dive off a balcony, and then die, it’s not the booze it’s a sad but still somewhat comical accident. What’s next? Is the State going to start cracking down on gravity? Perhaps they should have arrested the swimming pool for having suddenly moved a few feet away?
What I’m saying is that, sure, people do some mighty stupid stuff while drunk but I feel that it’s their Right to do so.
Who is the TABC to tell me when I’ve had enough to drink? I’ll be the judge of that and I don’t need them telling me I’m being loud or rude or staggering a little bit. I *know* that. I do so because, up until these savage creeps started rounding us up, I felt secure enough to do so in the privacy and comfort of a favorite bar. Now, that sanctity has been violated by skulking rats and undercover finks, and, because the victims are drunks, most people don’t seem to care. But I ask you…Who’ll be left to raise the alarm if they decide to come after YOU next?

No comments: